One Tree Hill Alpacas
‘Bespotted with Colour’
Our Name – One Tree Hill is named after our beautiful heather tree growing on top of the highest hill on our property.
Our Motto – ‘Bespotted with Colour’ reflects our passion for breeding spotted and multi-coloured alpacas.
Our Aim – To produce high-quality alpacas that meet industry breed standards with distinctive fleece patterns.
Our Farm – Our farm is located in Murrumbateman in the Yass Valley region. It offers picturesque views of the snow-capped Brindabella Ranges in winter and spectacular sunsets in Summer. The fertile ground provides excellent feed our alpacas all-year round. In summer, you may even catch a glimpse of our alpacas cooling off in the dam. Our alpacas are part of our family and we enjoy spending time with them and learning about their individual personalities.
Our Background – In 2008, we purchased our first two alpacas to accompany two miniature goats. As our interest and enjoyment of alpacas increased over the following years we visited other alpaca farms across New South Wales and Victoria and met with other leading alpaca breeders, attended alpaca workshops, seminars and shows in order to further develop our knowledge of alpacas.
Angela was the President of the Southern NSW Region of the Australian Alpaca Association during 2016 and 2017 until its amalgamation to the new NSW State Region on 01 July 2017. She has also been the Editor of the Regional Alpaca Magazine, Regional Welfare Officer and IT/Website Manager.
Angela is the current convenor of the hugely successful Carousel of Colour Show, Goulburn which she has run for the past three years, and has recently commenced planning for an even better show in May 2018.
We have undertaken the following training courses/workshops:
- Fleece Preparation and Skirting Workshop.
- Stewards, Convenors and Exhibitors Course.
- Alpaca Birthing Workshop.
Fairs, Markets and Shows
Throughout the year you will find us at a number of markets and shows in the local and SNSW region. For the latest information on the next market/show that we will be attending, go to our News page.
- Murrumbateman Village Market since 2012 – 2nd & 4th Saturday each month
- Canberra Old Bus Depot Market (OBDM) since 2014 – Sunday
- Canberra Handmade Market since 2014 – quarterly Saturday & Sunday
- Celebration of Wool (OBDM, Canberra) since 2016 – May
- NSW Carousel of Colour Alpaca Show (Goulburn) since 2016 – May
- Victoria Colourbration ‘Alpaca Spectaular’ Show (Bendigo) since 2016 – August
- Royal Canberra Show since 2017 – February
- Bendigo Sheep and Wool Show – July
- Australian Alpaca Nationals (Bendigo) – August
- FibreFest (Singleton) – October
How to Find Us
We are located in Murrumbateman situated 35 minutes north of Canberra off the Barton Highway, or 20 minutes south of Yass, and are open ‘By Appointment’ only.
We hope you enjoy looking around our website.
Angela and Matthew Smith
One Tree Hill Alpacas